Community Calendar for Monday August 5, 2019
Construction is taking place this week to repair Pressure Reducing Valves in the Agency Water Distribution System. Work is scheduled all week with water shut off occuring for 12 hours each day starting at 5am. This will mean low pressure and possible outages for areas being worked on. Monday’s work will impact Tommie Street and the Industrial Park. Tuesday’s work will impact Miller Heights and the Campus Area. Wednesday’s work will affect Upper Dry Creek, the Industrial Park, Mecca Flat Road, Homes along highway 26 and possibly Campus. Thursday’s work will impact West Hills and Greeley Heights. The boil water notice remains in effect.
- Nutritious meals are available this summer through the 509-J Summer Food Service Meal Program. Today’s meals in Madras are at Bridges in the Westside School – breakfast is at 7:45 and lunch at 12:00; and at the Warm Springs Youth Center where breakfast is served 8:45-9:15 and lunch is available 12-12:30.
- Registration for Summer School at the Warm Springs K thru 8 Academy is available now for all incoming Kindergarten students and selected 1st through 8th grade students who received a letter in the mail. Summer School Registration forms are available at the School District Office on Buff Street in Madras, here at KWSO and at Warm Springs Culture & Heritage. If you have questions call 541-475-6192. The registration deadline is this Thursday.
- Here is what is on the Tribal Council Agenda today: AM – Bureau of Indian Affairs Update; Office of Special Trustee Update; Realty Items; ICF Update. PM – Legislative Update Conference Call; Tribal Attorney Update; Chuush Fund Establishment
- There is Senior Fitness Class today at 10:45am at the Senior Center. Participants are invited to eat a meal after – today they are having: Greek salad and kiwi melon.
- There is Women’s Prayer Group at the Presbyterian Church from 12:15-12:45 today. All women are welcome.
- The Warm Springs Native Aspirations Prevention Coalition meets today at noon at the Emergency Management Building.
- Warm Springs Community Health at the Health & Wellness Center has a Behavior Health Clinic every Monday and Friday, walk-in appointments are available between 1 and 5pm. Services available include screenings, assessments, crisis intervention, and referrals to seek mental health and medical care, substance abuse treatment or other community resources. Children, adolescents and adults are welcome.
- The Vocational Rehabilitation Program will have an orientation session today at 3:00 in the Culture & Heritage Building conference room, 2nd Those who cannot make it to one of the scheduled weekly sessions, call 541-553-4952 to request a one-on-one orientation.
- Central Oregon Community College’s Redmond campus is hosting an information session on its Allied Health programs from 5:30-6:30 this evening, in Building 3, Room 306. The health programs covered will include dental assistant, massage therapy, medical assistant, pharmacy technician and veterinary technician. You don’t need to be enrolled or make a reservation.
A Volleyball Fundamentals camp will be held this week at the Warm Springs Youth Center on Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. This is for Middle School thru High School age youth. The camp is each evening from 5:30-7pm.
- There is a bingo and a Mexican food fundraiser on Wednesday from 6-9pm at Warm Springs Fire Management. All proceeds go to the 2019 Wildland Firefighter Memorial.
The Family Jamboree Day in Warm Springs will be held on August 15th from 3-7pm. There will be family fun activities plus a talent show hosted by Blue Flamez, jumping houses, rock climbing, music and new this year – an outdoor market and food vendors. If you are interested in being a vendor contact Emily Courtney at the Community Action Team office.
The city of Culver is seeking vendors for the Culver Crawdad Festival being held August 17. Call 541-546-6494 for more information.
Tribal youth, ages 14-18, are encouraged to apply to participate in two outdoor experiences this month – a backpacking course August 26-28 on the Warm Springs Reservation or a Deschutes Rafting Course August 26-30. There is a community gathering planned for all participants on August 25th. There is no cost to tribal youth participants, and registration is due August 16th. For more information on the registration process, contact TJ Foltz at 541-615-0142 or email@example.com.
Families of incoming kindergarten students at the Warm Springs K-8 Academy need to be sure their student is enrolled for the coming school year. Registration packets are available at the School District office, 445 SE Buff Street in Madras. They need to be turned in by August 8th. Summer school for the kinders at the K8 will start August 12th. If you have questions call Heilan at 541-475-6192.
Warm Springs HAPPI and Prevention Programs are putting on a penny carnival with foods, games, crafts and music on Wednesday, August 28th from 6-8pm in the Youth Center gym. Anyone interested in setting up a booth should contact the Prevention Program.